What are the main points of McCaughey's op-ed?
- You will be forced to enroll in a "qualified" health plan chosen by a new government bureaucracy.
- If your employer provides your plan, you will have 5 years to enroll in a "qualified" plan. If you are self-employed, you will have less time.
- You must prove you are in a qualified plan when you file your taxes. If not, you will be fined thousands of dollars and put into a randomly chosen government plan, which you will have to pay for.
- All "qualified" health insurance plans will be managed care plans. The goal is to reduce everyone's consumption of health care, make everyone have the same low quality of care, and to prevent people with more money from having better health care.
- Any change in your present plan, even a change of deductible or copay amount, will result in your being forced to give it up and pay for a "qualified" plan.
- There is no "qualified" health insurance plan cost information, but a family of four with income up to $88,000 per year will qualify for some assistance.
- The Congressional Budget Office estimates (their estimates are always low) the cost of the plan to taxpayers as taxpayers (not as consumers, that cost is extra) is $1.04 to 1.6 trillion [from 2010 to 2019. 17 million will still have no insurance.]
- The cost will be covered by increased taxes on individuals making more than $280,000 per year in 2010, with their new taxes being doubled in 2012. The remaining money will come from reducing senior's health benefits under Medicare.
- Much of the expense in the government takeover of health care (He who pays and "qualifies" makes the rules.) is in making "community transformation grants", home visits for expectant families (to encourage government paid abortions?), services for migrant workers, and the creation of many, many new government councils, programs, and advisory boards.
The only time your input will ever matter is now. Scream bloody murder to your Congressman and Senators now, because soon the government will be limiting your ability to make your own life decisions, as well as those of your loved ones. This is a giant step into a state of servitude and tyranny.