- Illinois is rolling pension debt and state officials are being sued because they failed to disclose the debt and misrepresented it.
- Chicago city employees retiree health care annual expenses will increase by a factor of 5 in ten years.
- Each and every resident of Sacremento, CA is obligated with $4200 of debt they did not approve and the debt is 5.5 times the annual city budget.
- New Jersey legislators wanted $8.6 billion for school refurbishing projects and knew voters would not approve it. So, they set up an independent borrowing commission for the purpose. After spending $7 billion, the commission disbanded and left the taxpayers the debt.
- 95% of New York's $63 billion debt was never given voter authorization.
The total state and local debt is mentioned twice in the article. The first time it is mistakenly given as $7.3 billion.